11.16.2006

eudaimonia

The demons were fraying my cables this morning and I elected, perhaps wrongly, to deal with them by taking a hot shower, getting in the car, and going to work. There I was met with incalculable sterility. The cold air had removed from the greens all students. The crabtrees bare but for a few bitter fruits. And, as I got my coffee and went into my adjunct hole, to my dismay my office mate was cramming her fat ass in the seat and had usurped the office for the whole day. I ended up scampering around like a puppy in commons areas, clinging close to the walls, avoiding suspicion. When it was my turn to take the office she protested that I hadn't advertised my slot on the door. She was wearing one of those purple nepalese wool hats, could have fit in at Woodstock or in Berkeley.

The kids were good today, they seemed to feel the weight of the semester and understood the mania, the fatigue. I finally gave my spiel on the freedom of the will, pulled off a reasonable approximation of a discussion, handed out assignments and bolted for the sube, ruminating on the examples discussed on the road home. The road " Back to the demons."