2.18.2007

In Preparation for the Birkebeiner

The conditions of Lapham Peak were the best, or close to as good as the best, I'd seen them all season. Having skiied these trails last a week a few times, I did a korteloppet in a little over 2 hours. The first day I skiied the blue for colder snows, but today it warmed up enough for violet and it stuck perfectly, a perfect grip wax. The hills were fast and tears strained my eyes while fast dark and light from the sun and the forest trees made for a thrilling downhill rides.

I've noticed that much time can be wasted going over the tops of hills. I've been training myself to move quickly over hilltops, going as fast as I can and resting on the downhills. A lot of yardage can be lost from dithering around the hilltops.

What I liked most is that I'm skiing classic and a lot of the skate skiiers will pass me on the flats and think 'sayonarah baby'. I catch them on the hills and speed past them on the downhills. They don't know what hit them. The classic is still the bomb.