5.17.2009

Parrhesia in leadership

A certain employee, lets call him X, suggested that we take this Acer macrophyllum in one fell swoop. I disagreed and we took it in 3, so as to not risk damaging the awning on the veranda and the nearby apple tree. Later, he came to me and asked if it was alright for him to question me, the climber.

I told him that my method of leading the crew is modelled, in part, upon Greek democratic ideals. I told him that in that era there was in the council, the boule, a tradition of 'tell all speech' (parrhesia), useful for the sake of arriving at the best possible judgment. If any one on the crew wishes to propose any idea, I heartily encourage it. Then, we sift through them, and arrive at the most informed judgment.

That is a leadership model that places a premium on justice and truth.